Somewhere in their careers, all teachers must deal with situations that force us to make important choices. At the same time, we are supposed to be loyal to our values. This incidents happen even when you, teacher, don't have that much experience in teaching.
I was once giving particular English lessons to a pair of brothers: boy, and girl. They were really talented and also willing to participate in all the activities I prepared for them. As time went by, they were aware that their English mastery was noticeably rising resulting in a rise of their confidence as well. This triggered a wave of incidents that included the fact that they started not to do the homework I assigned for them, which was bad because their midterm exams at their school were upon them. Eventually, the exam results came out and the children's parents asked me to talk with them: they told me to change my teaching technique, which included videos, readings and games to practice speaking and listening, and practice grammar and working in a useless book instead.
Kids are full of energy. They need to do meaningful and moving things to keep their interest, so, I assume you can imagine my dilemma.
I decided to stick to my plan. I kept my teaching technique but I used the last minutes of the sessions to remind them of the importance of the lessons and their grades at school.
Some weeks later, their parents spoke to me again to ask why I hadn't listened to them but I just told them to be faithful to their children as they had been doing their homework and, actually, corrected some grammar and pronunciation particular mistakes they had been doing. Eventually, the course at their school came to an end bringing the results of their final exams. Both kids approved their English subject but, despite I was supposed to continue my process with them for their next course, I was never called for again.
Every working person at their jobs should stick to their plans and values. No one should change them only because others tell you to do it, especially when you know you're right about a situation.
Despite I lost my job, I know I chose well.
No comments:
Post a Comment